Rawlins Cemetery, located on Main Street west of Bluegrove, is one of the earliest cemeteries in the Lancaster area. It was established in March of 1848, following the death of Meredith Parks. The tract was donated by William (Elder Billy) Rawlins. While many Parkses and Rawlinses are buried in the cemetery, neither family regarded it as … Continue reading
February 27, 1934. Clyde Barrow and fellow gang member Raymond Hamilton rob the R.P. Henry & Sons Bank, in Lancaster’s Town Square, taking over $4000. Olin Worley, a customer in the bank, and Laurence L. Henry, one of R.P. Henry’s sons and the cashier, were held at gunpoint while the bank was looted. Another gang … Continue reading
We are fortunate that our Depot retains several of its original features. One of the most asked about is the railroad semaphore signal. A semaphore is a system of visual signaling, often using flags or lights. On the east side of the building, trackside, the metal pole with semaphore still stands. The blade and colored … Continue reading
We are working on adding more information and photos on the historic sites in and around Lancaster to our website. For now, we have added a list of sites dedicated through the Society and through the Texas Historic Commission. View the list of Lancaster’s historic sites.
On Saturday, November 2, 1912 at 7:30 pm, Lancaster City Marshal Peter M. Solomon was accidentally killed in the line of duty. The Marshal was struck while attempting to flag down a train at the Valley View station of the Interurban Railway which ran through Lancaster along Dallas Ave. The marker, located at 100 Old … Continue reading
On Saturday, September 8, 2012, Lancaster Independent School District was presented with a Texas Historical Marker for Rocky Crest, Lancaster ISD’s first school for African American students. For a time, Rocky Crest was the only school in the southern Dallas County that offered a formal education program for children of African American descent. The school … Continue reading