On Saturday, September 8, 2012, Lancaster Independent School District was presented with a Texas Historical Marker for Rocky Crest, Lancaster ISD’s first school for African American students. For a time, Rocky Crest was the only school in the southern Dallas County that offered a formal education program for children of African American descent.
The school originally opened in 1863 after the Civil War in the Confederate Gun Factory building. The school moved to several other sites over the course of it’s 97-year history. The final site, Rocky Crest, was built about 1932 and expanded in 1955 to teach students in grades 1-8. The school educated minority children until 1965 when Lancaster ISD voluntarily integrated its classrooms.
Currently, the campus is the home of the Rocky Crest Museum and the J.D. Hall Learning Center. The campus was named after James Douglas Hall who was the last campus principal and who became the first African American Assistant Superintendent of Education in Lancaster ISD in 1997.
The campus is located at 602 E. Second Street. Map